Saturday, March 12, 2011

Oh Susannah

Since someone wondered if I was going to Susannah, I'll make some comments.

No, Susannah was not a Stephen Foster retrospective. Don't go expecting to hear "Camptown Races", "Old Black Joe" or "Beautiful Dreamer". This is one of America's most performed operas, written in 1955 by Carlisle Floyd. It was done several years ago at Central City, but this is the first time it was done at the University of Colorado. The setting is the evangelical hills of Tennessee and it's pretty bleak.

My wife and I went last night and we both had similar reactions. I don't like to knock the home team, but I want to be honest about all this. It was less than sterling entertainment. That doesn't mean the singers were bad, they weren't. The music was accessible and pleasant and the staging well done. What was missing was comprehension. I kept asking my wife if she could understand what was just sung and the answer was always no. The orchestra, some 44 musicians, sounded fine but too often covered the singers. Some of the cast, particularly Wei Wu and Emily Martin, had the volume, but the diction in most cases just wasn't clear. I could hear some sung words, but too often they were muffled or insufficiently loud enough. Clearly this was an opera that begs for super-titles. We are used to reading the words for operas sung in other languages, but it seems to me that sung English can often be even more unintelligible than French, Italian or German. Without comprehension the art suffers.

Should Susannah have been done in Macky Auditorium? With over 2000 seats, it was disappointing to see so many empty seats, though I've been told there were more upstairs than I would have guessed. Performing it in the Music Theatre might have been a better choice, though the large orchestra might not have fit in the pit. My gut tells me that this opera would be more accessible with smaller orchestration and a smaller venue.

Was Susannah a good opera for CU? I think not. I suspect the decision of what to perform is a function of the current crop of singers, the budget and the artistic vision of Leigh Holman. Susannah might have been a good opera for CU in concept, but compared to some other recent ones, "Dead Man Walking" comes to mind, it wasn't so hot.

No comments: