Monday, May 24, 2010

Boulder MahlerFest XXII

The Boulder MahlerFest has just concluded its 22nd festival, a remarkable achievement. Congratulations to the festival board and good luck to the new president, Barry Knapp.

This past Wednesday night Jennifer Bird-Arvidsson and Patrick Mason collaborated with Mutsumi Motoki in a selection of late Romantic songs, two by Mahler. I heard Bird-Arvidsson earlier this year at one of the university faculty concerts and she is just wonderful, a great addition to CU. Her rendition of Mahler's "Ging heut morger übers Feld" was perfect. Mason, too, was in top form. I had to laugh with him singing Hansel in a duet from Humperdinck's fairy-tale opera, normally sung by a mezzo. The final Delius "Prelude and Idyll", though, was a bit tedious.

On Saturday night and again on Sunday afternoon, the full Mahlerfest Orchestra, all 102 members strong, performed the Third Symphony, . I've always like the third a bit less than the second, "Resurrection", but now I'm not so sure. Robert Olson conducted with a pace and passion that sometimes brought me upright in my seat, particularly in the middle of the 6th movement. Julie Simpson's "O Mensch!" was spot on. The Boulder Chorale was very good, along with the combined Boulder Children's Chorale and Niwot Treble Choir with their bells of "Bimm, Bamm".

In both performances I was drawn to the trombonist John Neurohr. He's a big fellow and was in complete control of his phrasing and intonation. I was very impressed as was the audience who responded noticeably louder when Olson pointed to him during the applause. We also liked the principal trumpet, Doug Reneau, beautifully playing off-stage solos in the third movement. Maestro Olson brought both players to the front to share the standing ovation, something you rarely see. Annamarie Karacson (violin), Charles Lee (cello) and all the horns also deserve special notice.

Mahler used off-stage bands in the second symphony and here in the third, a single trumpet. Only a live performance can give the listener an appreciation of these subtle little performance enhancements. Recorded music just fails to do this, I'm afraid.

My wife and I heard the evening performance down on the main floor of the auditorium. Sunday I went up into the balcony and had a better, more complete view of the orchestra and choirs. Since I could see better, for some reason I seem to hear better. I guess it's me but when I can see a musician play, I seem to receive the sound better. Sunday's overall performance was better, to me.

I've got tickets to more Mahler this summer, in Denver with the CSO and the Colorado Music Festival here in Boulder. Both are Mahler's 5th Symphony, a bit of musical redundancy. Too bad local orchestras ignore what others schedule.

No comments: