Monday, June 02, 2008

Golijov's Oceana

Osvaldo Golijov's Oceana was performed the other night by the Pro Musical Colorado Chamber Orchestra and the Ars Nova Singers. Last summer I got turned onto Golijov, though somewhat grudgingly, by a performance by the Colorado Music Festival of his Ainadamar, which I commented on earlier. Golijov is "hot" and has several recordings of which I have a few. I've been meaning to track down his St, Mark Passion, but it's a pricey album, with only so-so reviews.

The FM stations don't seem to like him, even though he's getting big billing nationally. Only WQXR in New York and KING in Seattle have broadcast anything by him thus far this year. KVOD, my local station, continues to pretty much ignore him, though they have played some of his songs from Ayre and broadcast his Dreams and Prayers of Isaac the Blind once in 2007. KVOD, Denver, Cow town -- I'll say no more.

Back to the performance. I have the CD and knew what to expect, but the audience didn't. While they responded admirably, I sensed a certain unease with the piece. It is sung in Spanish from poems by Neruda with a diverse orchestra and extra percussion. It was hard to grasp and follow, though I wonder if a Spanish speaker would have had a different reaction. I had earlier told my dinner hosts that I only really like the last part "Chorale of the Reef" and the performance confirmed my opinion. But let's give a big three cheers to this new orchestra and the Ars Nova for giving us something new and different. It's just too bad that you can only get music like this live and not on public radio.

One negative comment: why is it that a somewhat inconsequential performer sitting up front, the fellow playing the "Talking Drum", which seemed mute from where I was sitting, wore a white shirt while everyone else was in a tux or black dress? Didn't get the message, I guess.

No comments: