Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Boulder's Quartet Program Participation

This summer has been musically sterile for me. I've been boycotting the local Colorado Music Festival because of their crappy programming, with the Beethoven stunt and ukuleles and tap dancing and guitars and all.

There was a bright spot this past weekend, however. The university hosted The Quartet Program, a program started in 1970 by Charles Castleman. See http://www.quartetprogram.com for more information on the programs. Apparently this was the first time it was done at the University of Colorado, but it appeared to me to be quite successful.

On three consecutive nights I was entertained by a total of 9 different string quartets. There was little information about the participants but I would guess most were late-teens early twenties students from around the country. I was impressed by the quality and consistency of the playing. The fare was Beethoven, Schubert, Bartok, Janacek, Haydn, Borodin, Ravel, Dvorak and Debussy. All played impressively.

As I understand, there were afternoon solo string performances, too. I couldn't attend, but I suspect the quality was also very good.

I hope this will not be the last time the program spends the summer in Boulder.

No comments: