Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Strauss had to be wrong.....

Last night I was listening to KVOD (Denver) when the announcer Charles Andrews mentioned that Richard Strauss considered the Mozart String Quintet in g, K 516 very highly. I don't remember the exact words Andrews used, but I thought to myself that if Strauss thought this to be the case, the String Quintet (apparently a string quartet with 2 viola) must really be pretty good. It was written in 1787, somewhere between the "Prague" and the 39th symphony and between the 20th and 21st string quartets. Much to my surprise I found the K 516 mundane. How could a fellow composer like Strauss have held this piece in such high esteem? Strauss comes across as a somewhat enigmatic character in Ross's "The Rest is Noise". I wonder if this comment about this particular Mozart quintet came after the war? I don't know, but to me the quintet was a bore.

No comments: